Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Karah & Leng at Edgewood Tahoe

The digital world we live in now makes life so much easier in a variety of ways. I used to have to lug a half-dozen crates of records and four cases of CDs around to events. Now a pair of Macbook Pros gives me instant access to tens of thousands of songs without any of that weight or bulk. 

Communication is light-years ahead of where it was when I started deejaying. My website and blog are representing me 24/7 all across the country and the world and people can read reviews on a plethora of sites. I am never far away from my clients, whether by phone, email or text. And I can meet with them no matter the timezone or distance. My office is wherever I am & wherever my brides and grooms are.

Karah and Leng live in the Midwest and decided to celebrate their love with their friends and family on the shores of Lake Tahoe. Through the net they found my website and blog, read some past client reviews, and contacted me about their big day. Pretty soon we were chatting about their vision for their wedding day via Facetime and soon thereafter I was happy to be chosen as their DJ.  

Meeting with your primary wedding professionals is key, especially your photographer & DJ. You want to know if you are comfortable with them, that they have your best interests at heart, and that the chemistry is right so they will capture your true nature in those pictures or through the music and vibe that you want to create.  Skype & Facetime allows for face-to-face meetings even with hundreds or thousands of miles between us. I love technology!

Karah & Leng decided on Edgewood Tahoe, one of my favorite venues anywhere, let alone up at the Lake. Edgewood has wow factors that are unequaled on so many levels. First the location.  The gorgeous golf course fronts sandy beaches with unparalleled views of water and mountains. The building is an architectural gem that even exceeds the spectacular surroundings it sits in. The wood, stonework and wide, tall windows bring the outdoor beauty inside and meld with it flawlessly.

My view setting up
But just as important as the location and ambience is the level of service that the Edgewood is famous for.  The employees are top-notch, friendly, and professional at all times. Walter & Rosalyn were my main contacts throughout the night, and they and their staff were exemplary in every way. Over the years there I see the same faces over and over which indicates to me that in a business fraught with employee turnover, Edgewood hires and retains the best people, and those people enjoy working there and providing that high level of service. Everyone from the bartenders to the waiters to the cooks and maintenance staff seems to love working there and to love what they do, and it shows.
The pensive groom right before the ceremony
The South Room was decorated beautifully and right outside on the terrace chairs were set up for the ceremony.  Some thunderclouds rolled in overhead just before the ceremony time and sprinkled a bit, but as always up at Tahoe in the summer, you can wait ten minutes and the clouds will speed past and sunshine will again reign. Edgewood's folks just wiped down the chairs and  we were ready to go a few minutes later.  Stepdad Dave was the officiant and he did a great job, mixing traditional and personal perfectly and soon thereafter Leng and Karah were married and off posing for pictures on the gorgeous grounds and on the beach. When they returned to the reception, they and their bridal party entered to the Killers' "All the Things That I've Done", an inspired and unique choice.  Leng & Karah have distinct and progressive musical tastes, and all throughout the evening I was able to use the songs and artists they love to make it that much more about them.  I played everything from Elvin Bishop and Allison Krause to Temper Trap and Snow Patrol. Eclectic and sophisticated, just like the bride & groom.

The dinner was amazing as usual... maybe even better than amazing.  I've blogged about the food and service at Edgewood before- how even their simple dishes like grilled veggies and their pasta salad are the best I've ever had.  But even with these standouts, my new favorites there are the flat-iron steak and the parmesan chicken. Absolute yumminess! They put the buffet on the dancefloor and when everyone has eaten their fill, they begin pouring champagne for the toast and in 2:44 (I timed them as I am always amazed at their efficiency) the entire buffet line was taken down and the dancefloor ready for the first dance. Usually I am the one prodding the venue to move along- at Edgewood they are always a step ahead of me, which again shows their flexibility and professionalism.

After some great toasts the cake was cut and we went into the first dance and then the Father-Daughter dance. The guests and bridal party then settled into a fun night of packing the dancefloor.  There were lots of great requests but my favorite was for "Everybody" by Backstreet Boys by Leng's sister.  I wasn't expecting the response when I started it up: the groom's family knew all the dance moves to it, like a music video or something!  Leng later told me that his sister made everyone dance to it when they were kids and it was so fun to watch them laughing and totally in sync with each other. These are the moments that everyone will remember forever, and I was so pleased to be a part of it.  Leng and Karah, thanks again for allowing me into your amazingly special day!



No comments:

Post a Comment