Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Eric & Megan at Wild River Grille with the ceremony at Honey's Garden at Rancho San Rafael

Eric and Megan impressed me from the very start of our first meeting. They had a definite, unique  vision of their upcoming wedding & reception and a warm, loving vibe with each other that was infectious, making me want to be a part of their special day. I am a lucky guy. I get to share in a couple's most perfect day and do my small part to make it conform to their vision and hopefully exceed their expectations. I was so happy when they selected me to be their DJ.
Honey's Garden
They planned their ceremony in a special little glen in Rancho San Rafael Park called Honey's Garden. It is surrounded by trees and comes complete with a babbling brook and koi pond and is a fantastic gem hidden amongst the Arboretum just down the hill from the Ranch House where I have deejayed many times before. I was unaware that amplified sound could be used there, and when Eric checked into it, he found that yes, you can use limited PA for wedding music and microphones- you just can't have your dance party there. No worries! I got there early, set up a ceremony system, hooked into power with the help from a friendly park employee, and began playing some light background music. Brooke Smith-La Fata was a great help before the ceremony keeping me informed and lining up the bridal party. Soon I was playing "Storybook Love" by Matthew Lister for the bridal party and then a special version of "Can't Help Falling in Love" by Ingrid Michaelson which I had mixed the week prior for Megan. She loved the version except for a stray note that Ingrid hits early in the song. I was able to excise that part and no one was the wiser, and Megan came down the hill into the Garden glowing from the inside out. Many deejays don't particularly like providing ceremony music and amplification as it can be quite a bit of extra work. It was a completely different location than the reception site, and it was down a hill and a bit of a haul, but it was so great seeing her cross over the bridge into the Garden, and seeing the emotion on Eric's face (and on everyone else's as well) when she appeared. Nothing like that moment. I'll never forget seeing my wife when she appeared down the aisle twenty-six years ago, and I know Eric will have Megan's image etched in his mind in the same manner for the rest of their lives. I love being a small part of the ceremony as it is such an honor being a part of a couple's day!

After they had said their vows, Katrina and the Waves' "Walking on Sunshine" got everyone in the party mood as they recessed from the ceremony. The guests and I then packed up and headed to downtown Reno while Megan & Eric roamed the scenic park getting their pictures taken. 

The Wild River Grille is perched above the Truckee River just south of the Virginia Street bridge in basically the exact center and cultural heart of Reno. Their food is contemporary, fresh, and sourced locally when possible and it is quite a step above the usual reception fare. The River Room has a great loft-like feel, a huge bar with friendly servers, and windows that look out on the river and city. I arrived and quickly set up my gear in a corner and began playing some background music for the guests arriving from the ceremony. It wasn't too much longer when Eric & Megan arrived and they were introduced with Natalie Cole's "This Will Be" punctuating their arrival. Soon everyone was enjoying the very delicious Wild River fare and I have to credit the staff with being so friendly and efficient. They really made sure everyone had plenty to eat and drink and all with a smile and great demeanor. 
My view of the cake cutting
After dinner the B&G soon were toasting & cutting their cake- actually an assortment of bundt cakes giving their guests choices of several flavors. "Bless the Broken Road" then filled my speakers as Eric and Megan took to the dance floor for their first dance. David then danced with his daughter to Heartland's "I Loved Her First" for the Father-Daughter Dance followed by Pam and her son dancing to Rascal Flatts "My Wish" for the Mother Son Dance. The dancing really never stopped after that.  Alan Jackson's "Remember When" was the backdrop for a great Anniversary Dance with Eric's and Megan's parents both being married for over 40 years. What great examples for their children and for all of us!
First Dance!
I played a large variety of music that night to an enthusiastic crowd. My favorite moments had to be when some 90's pop and hip hop were requested and I strung out a fun mix of everything from Warren G to "Bye Bye Bye" to "No Diggity"... Very cool!  I love an interactive crowd with requests that just build on the moment. I have to thank Brooke Smith-La Fata for all her hard work, the great staff at Wild River Grille, and most of all Megan and Eric for allowing me to be a part of their amazing day and evening. Congrats you guys!
Megan and her dad

1 comment:

  1. KC, you did an amazing job at our wedding! Thank you so much for making every song special and keeping the celebration going! You are fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete