Monday, September 9, 2013

Jennifer & BJ at Sugar Bowl Lodge atop Donner Summit

The Lodge at Sugar Bowl
As a wedding DJ, the best accolade I can receive is a referral from a happy client. Recommending someone for such an important part of such an important day is taking a big responsibility for the outcome of that event, and I appreciate the trust put in me by both a former client and a new one.
About a year ago I was so honored to be a part of Jason & Nicole's day at Sunnyside (see blog) and when Nicole's friend Jennifer set her date to be married, Nicole gave her my information. I couldn't be happier. Nicole & Jason's wedding was such a great time and I knew any friend of Nicole's would be pretty special too, so I was excited to be considered for Jenn & BJ's day.
My view of the ceremony.
As Jenn & BJ live quite a distance from me, we spoke on the phone, traded emails, and finally Skyped to finalize the events and music for their day. They have very definite musical tastes, and we incorporated their playlist into the entire day and evening. Many DJ's get flustered with clients who have tastes that don't fit into a standard box. They can't think past their own 'most played' playlists and have a difficult time meshing their style with that of the B&G. Me, I love strong opinions on music. Music is such a large part of our lives- it mirrors our mood and defines our most treasured moments. To incorporate the musical choices of the clients is one more way to make the day completely theirs- to add their essence, both serious and playful to their day. So many times I get people coming up and complimenting me on the music I play, and usually the songs they hear are those that the bride & groom had chosen. For example, BJ really like the Avett Brothers, and while I had some of their music, he really broadened my perspective on them and turned me on to new songs I hadn't heard before. When they were taking pictures, I played a few of them, and he turned and gave me a thumbs up, and went back to his photographic duties. I could feel the bridal party's mood elevate just a little but more, as when the bride & groom are happy & smiling, it is incredibly infectious. I encountered more new (to me) artists through Jenn & BJ such as Iron & Wine and the Morning Benders and am better for it. Part of the benefit of being a DJ is that your clients and their guests expose you to new bands that you may never have found on your own. When you love music as I do, this can be priceless.

BJ & Jenn picked the Lodge at Sugar Bowl for their ceremony and reception, and what a great choice they made!  Sugar Bowl is a fantastic venue for an alpine wedding. The ceremony was held in the meadow adjacent to the Lodge with spectacular mountain views and a babbling stream a few yards away. I played Sufjian Stevens' "For the Widows in Paradise" for the parents entry and Ben Howard's "Old Pine" for the bridal party's processional. I had "Bloom" by the Paper Kites ready for Jenn's processional, but Asa Dean, a groomsman came down the aisle with his guitar on his back, surprising BJ with his own rendition of the song. Asa sounded wonderful, BJ was surprised, and Jenn positively glowed coming down the aisle. When the ceremony concluded, the newlyweds exited to "Anna Sun" by Walk the Moon and their guests boarded the chair lift for a cocktail hour at the top of the mountain.
BJ & Jenn head up for cocktails!
How cool is that?!?  Where else can you invite your guests up for a mountaintop cocktail? When BJ & Jenn were finished with pictures, they boarded a chair and joined their guests at the top of the mountain while I set up on the deck of the Lodge. After an hour or so, everyone returned and found their tables on the deck for dinner, I introduced the bridal party punctuated by Macklemore's  "Thrift Shop," and the reception began A buffet line was set up inside and soon everyone was enjoying Sugar Bowl's delicious dinner. Speaking of the Sugar Bowl, I have to say they have one of the friendliest staffs out there.  Amanda & Megan and their people are top-notch. They really enjoy what they do and are proud of their food and of the Lodge, and their service shows it. At some lodges and ski resorts the staff is very transient and because of this, not as well-trained, loyal or happy. You can tell that Sugar Bowl treats their staff well and it shows in the level of service from the coordinators on down. Great job!

After dinner the bride & groom were toasted and then Jenn & BJ made their way to the dance floor for their first dance, "February Seven" by the Avett Brothers. However, once again the talented Aysa Dean came up and serenaded them with his own version of the song. Very special and memorable!  Augustine then danced with his daughter to "My Little Girl" by Tim McGraw and then Beth danced with BJ to "Over the Rainbow" by IZ.  In a special twist, Jenn then called up several other newlywed couples and they all danced to Adam Sandler's "Grow Old With You" with Jenn & BJ. Enthusiastic dancing then followed all through the rest of the evening.  What a great dancing crowd!  I played such a variety of songs and the floor never emptied.  It was pretty magical as night fell as the deck was lit by candles and twinkling lights, yet you could still see the Milky Way high above in the alpine night sky.
First Dance!
Aysa at work
Dad & Daughter!

Thanks to BJ & Jennifer for allowing me to be a part of their extraordinary day and evening.  Thanks to  everyone at Sugar Bowl Lodge for their efforts and warm hospitality. And thanks to Nicole & Jason for making it all happen for me through a simple referral. I love what I do. I try to make a difference in a couple's most special day, and I am so happy people seem to get that and are so pleased with my performance.  Congrats Jenn & BJ! May the soundtrack of your lives be long, varied and filled with lovesongs!

No comments:

Post a Comment